Thursday, May 27, 2010

Saturday- Kissing a Friend

During the last week of classes, my laptop died. While this would be bad news for most people, for me it was devastating. I had a final exam to take, and semester papers to turn in. Thankfully I'd backed up my hard drive a few days before, but there were still some files I needed.

This is where having a cadre of computer geek friends comes in handy. I had one diagnose the likely problem. From what he could tell, it looks like the motherboard is fried. That's the best bad news I could get, to be honest. It meant my files were okay on my hard drive- but I had no way to get to them.

When my friend the Bird Man heard that, he immediately suggested I bring my laptop over. The plan was for him to put my hard drive in his computer and copy the files over for me. I jumped at the opportunity! So after work on Saturday afternoon, I headed down to his house.

While the computer was the main reason for the trip, there was also a promise of margaritas on his deck. We also ordered pizza, and while we waited for it he performed laptop surgery. The patient came through great, and I was able to get everything I needed (including all my Date Slut files!) We plopped on the couch with our drinks and pizza, and what would happen to be on tv but one of the greatest movies of all time- The Goonies!

At one point, somewhere around two margaritas in, I got the sudden urge to do a somersault. The Bird Man said he didn't know how to do one, so I cleared some space on his living room floor, leaned down, and executed a very drunken somersault. Then I got the Bird Man to do one too! That just egged me on- next, I wanted to do a cartwheel.

There was no way to do a cartwheel in his living room without breaking his stuff (and likely myself) in the process, so we went out on the deck. My cartwheel definitely needs more work.

We went back inside just as Robin Hood: Men in Tights was coming on. We sat on the couch, still giggling from the impromptu gymnastics, when I noticed that he had inched a little closer to me than he'd been before. To see if I was just imagining things, I pointed it out, then scooted over myself.

Now, just to make things clear, I had absolutely no ulterior motives when I went over to the Bird Man's house that day. In fact, I think the most flirting I'd ever done with him was one night over gchat when I was tipsy. But between the giggling, the margaritas, and the computer fixing, I'd definitely turned the corner into new territory. So when he leaned over and kissed me, my immediate response was to tell him, “well that took you long enough!”

I had planned to go home that night so I could be good the next morning and work on some more papers, but I didn't feel like I was in a position to drive, so I asked the Bird Man if I could crash on his couch. He said sure, but that I was also welcome to crash in his bed.

That comes off as making the Bird Man out to be more suave than he really is. He's just your typical friendly computer programmer, who most girls don't look at twice because of the dorky demeanor and nerdy laugh. The statement about sleeping in his bed took a few false starts and some stammering to get out. Still, it was nice. I made it clear to him, though, that I wasn't going to be doing anything other than sleeping.

I still consider the Bird Man to be just a friend, but I don't know what he's thinking about things. I definitely regret kissing him after the fact, that much is sure. I've avoided bringing it up, though. I know I need to have that conversation, and I will...I'm just in no rush. I wish some things, when ignored, would just go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment