Saturday, March 6, 2010

What is polyamory?

Let's have a quick note on polyamory.

For starters, being poly is not all about sex. I don't like to go out and have sex with random people, nor do I have sex with everyone I date. When I say I'm poly, what I'm saying is that I like to be in a relationship with more than one person at a time. No, it's not the same as cheating. Everyone knows about it, I'm completely open with everyone I date that they're not the only person I'm seeing, and I of course have no problem with them also dating other people.

Polyamory isn't one size fits all. Some people like to form triads, where three people are all dating each other (Person A is dating B and C, while B and C are also dating). Other people like to set up primary and secondary relationships- your “main” person, maybe a spouse, and other people on the side. Some like to do a combination of these. I've found that I like to have one or two primary relationships and several secondary relationships. I see my primary people as being those I'm interested in having a future with, something more than just casual dating. Then I date other people, too; these are more for just having fun, getting to try new things, and they have the benefit of not feeling bogged down by the strong emotional connections that come from a serious relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment