Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wednesday- In Which I Learn about Electronics Packaging

I have realized that I definitely have a “thing” for the geek uniform of shaved head and facial hair. It's not a conscious thing, but when I see guys like McCool or the Blues Man I'm attracted to them, and only later do I realize that they are in that category. When I saw photos of Mr. Dimple on the dating website, I had the same reaction.

We'd originally planned to meet for dinner Thursday night, in the city where he lives about an hour from me. I had a job interview closer by on Wednesday morning, though, so I suggested we move the date to lunch on Wednesday. It was a good thing I did, as he discovered he'd double booked on Thursday night. Apparently, keeping track of plans isn't his strong point.

He chose a Thai restaurant he really likes. I haven't been able to find a pad thai that lives up to my standards yet, so I was excited to try it. Unfortunately the pad thai wasn't great, but Mr. Dimple was.

The first thing I noticed when he walked through the door was his giant grin. Well, that and the aforementioned geek uniform of shaved head and facial hair. It just does something for me, I can't help it! The next time he grinned at me while we were sitting down, my eyes were drawn to the big dimple that popped up. It made me want to lean across the table and kiss his cheek right then.

Surprisingly, I showed some self restraint. We had a great time talking over lunch, though, and kept telling terrible, off-color jokes to make each other laugh. He also explained to me his research that he is completing to finish his PhD dissertation. It's in “electronics packaging,” and would you believe it? It has nothing to do with how Amazon.com chooses to put your new DVD player in a cardboard box!

When we got up to leave, he discovered a common problem for most men that date me- I am taller than he was. Especially in my 3-inch heels. That isn't something that concerns me at all, but for some men, it really makes them uncomfortable. I had to tease him about it, of course, saying “I like to wear heels to intimidate men.” “I'm not intimidated,” he told me, and I'm pretty sure he meant it.

We stopped to say goodbye at the curb, and I stepped off while he was still standing on the sidewalk so that he could feel taller for a minute. I'm kidding. Or am I? Either way, he noticed and laughed about it, and I told him we should just carry a stool around for him. He gave me a big hug, but I hesitated in going in for a kiss, and so did he. So we separated and went to our cars.

When I got there, I couldn't resist teasing him a little more, so I texted “what, no kiss?” I got a “I could ask you the same thing!” in return. Touche, Mr. Dimple. Touche.

No comments:

Post a Comment