Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Weekend of Canceled Plans

I was supposed to have a party Saturday night, but it was canceled at the last minute. Instead, the Dreamer came over to hang out for a while. We didn't feel like going out anywhere and I wasn't up for cooking, so we ordered a pizza. Then we sat on the couch and watched a House marathon. I ended up falling asleep on him before he finally decided to go to bed. At least this time he actually stayed through the night.

The next day, the Diplomat and I had plans to go sailing. The thing about sailing, though, is that it requires the cooperation of the weather. When it was realized that there was going to be no way that we could sail (no wind = no sailing, who knew?), we decided to go run some errands and pick up things that he needed for his new house.

There was only one problem with that plan- we'd forgotten that it was Easter Sunday. Nothing was open. We were finally faced with the choice of finding something to do or giving up and going home when I suggested a Vietnamese restaurant near my house. I figured Chinese places are always opened on Christmas Eve, so maybe Vietnamese would be open on Easter. I was right!

Over dinner, I brought up a topic that had been bothering me since the night of the Diplomat's birthday party. The guy who had uncomfortably cornered me earlier in the night had said something interesting later at the second bar. He had asked about polyamory, and what that meant. After I explained it, he looked me straight in the eyes and said, “you know the Diplomat isn't okay with this, right?”

Now, I don't think anybody else could speak for the Diplomat, but it was completely possible that his friend knew him better than I did. So I asked him about it.

“I consider this the experimental phase in my life,” he told me. I'm still not quite sure how to take that- is he saying that he is okay with polyamory now, but won't be later? That it's only a “phase” for him? It's okay if that's the case, I suppose- it's not that I have plans to marry him and have babies- but it's just the first true example I've seen of someone using polyamory as an experiment, rather than a choice that was carefully come to after lots of deliberation and self-searching.

The Diplomat took me home after dinner, with the promise that next time, we'd make sure it wasn't Easter Sunday when we went out.

No comments:

Post a Comment